THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. PLEASE READ MY DISCLOSURE FOR MORE INFO.
If you follow my Instagram stories, you know that I had some trouble sleeping lately … So on top of my previous tips, I’ve been trying new ways to help me like listening to stories and podcasts to sleep.
- I wear a sleep mask: It soothing and forces me to keep my eyes shut. Plus, I am a very light sleeper so a small amount of light keeps me awake, and now this is no longer a problem.
- I take melatonin: I try to stay away from it because it makes me sleepy the next day too. But if I really can’t sleep I get some help to boost the chemicals in the brain that make you sleep.
- I listen to sleep stories and meditations: This usually works every night. It helps me stop thinking and fall asleep really quickly!
If you haven’t done it yet, download the FREE sleep time calculator to plan your morning routine and know when you need to go to bed!
What you need to listen to relaxing sounds while falling asleep
Right now I am using the earbuds from my previous phone a Samsung Galaxy Note 4. I have small ears so most of the earbuds are too big for me. I also tried to sleep with headphones but I find it not comfortable when I lie in my bed.
It might be different for you, simply try different types and see which one works the best when you are trying to fall asleep.
Fun story: I have to hide them under my pillow because my cat plays with it in the morning.
2. A smartphone
On black Friday I switched from the Galaxy Note 4 to the iPhone 6 since it was on sales with Boost Mobile.
I’m happy I finally made the switched to iPhone because a lot of the services I use for my businesses only have apps on this platform. It honestly took a bit of time to adjust but now I’m a pro 🙂
3. A podcast app
When I was on Android I used to use BeyondPod and even got the key unlocking all the features.
Now I am using the native IOS podcast app.
4. A sleep timer
If you use BeyondPod on Android I think there’s a sleep timer on the app. However, the native podcast app on iPhone is a bit more tricky.
How to add a sleep timer on iPhone:
- Open the Clock app
- Select the Timer tab
- Select the time
- Click on “When Timer Ends”
- Scroll down the list
- Select “Stop Playing”
- Click on “Set” at the top right of the screen
- Click on the Start button
Apps to listen to when you cannot sleep
I love Audible and have been talking about it a lot on this blog.
The trick with Audible is to select good books but that are not too suspenseful. If you are really into the book it will actually make it harder to fall asleep since you will want to know what happens next.
Plus, Audible is offering 2 free audiobooks to the readers of Hello Peaceful Mind!
How to use Audible to fall asleep:
- Select your audiobook
- Add the sleep timer (I usually select 1 hour but it might be different for you)
- The next day click on the previous chapter until you remember the story and start from there
Calm Sleep Stories are beautiful bedtime stories created to help grown-ups like us relax and fall asleep.
They have a few categories and you will be able to listen to a couple of stories for free in each of them. The stories are usually around 30 min.
How to use Calm to fall asleep:
- Open the app
- Click on the Sleep icon
- Select a story
- Press Play
Podcasts to listen to when you cannot sleep
I’ve tried a few podcasts and decided to share with you only the ones that I liked and worked for me 🙂
I found Tracks To Relax while searching for podcasts when I couldn’t sleep one night and I am glad I found it.
The voice of the narrator is soothing and usually helps me fall asleep within 10 minutes. I honestly never finished a full episode so I can listen to them over and over.
The episodes have different duration and thematic so I just chose to listen to one according to how I feel.
To find it in any podcast app search for “Sleep Meditation Podcast – Get to Sleep Fast”
But every time I listen to it I fall asleep within a few minutes!
And there are more than 100 episodes to listen to with a new episode coming every week! So you will be able to listen to a different episode every night for a very long time 😉
Save for later
- Find Out When You Need To Sleep
- The Best Audiobooks That Will Change Your Life
- How to Easily Sleep when your Mind is Preoccupied
- 5 Reasons Why You Need A Morning Routine
- A Good Night’s Sleep by National Institutes of Health
Over to you:
What do you listen to when you cannot fall asleep?
Latest posts by Julie (see all)
- 5 Books That Will Make You Find Your Purpose This Summer - May 23, 2018
- How To Read And Listen To Your Favorite Books For Free - May 16, 2018
- How To Change Your Relationship With Alcohol - May 9, 2018