How To Feel Better When You Are On Your Period
THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. PLEASE READ MY DISCLOSURE FOR MORE INFO.
Sorry guys, this article is for women, but you can still learn something by reading 😉
A few weeks ago, I spent a couple of hours watching videos about menstrual cups. I have seen them everywhere lately and I have to say that I first thought that I would never try it.
But after talking with one of my friends a couple of months before, I thought maybe I should give it a try. She bought one but was scared to use it so I told her that I would get one myself and let her know how it is. I guess having a friend experimenting too made it easier to take the leap.
And oh my it changed my life, after only one use, I decided that I won’t go back tampons.
The benefits of the menstrual cup
I used the menstrual cup for the first time this weekend and this is my experience:
- You don’t feel it: it takes the shape of your body and moves with you, you might need to cut the stem to fit you perfectly
- Better sleep: I was able to sleep the whole night during my period for the first time
- No dryness: tampons absorb all the fluids and can hurt when you take them out, this doesn’t happen with the cup
- More comfortable in the toilet: you will pee like normal, no tampon making it uncomfortable
- You can wear it for up to 12 hours: you might need to empty it more often on your heavy days or you can get a bigger size
- No leaking
- Cheaper: you buy it once and use it for years
- Environmental friendly
- Less messy: I thought that having a cup would be messy but if you use wipes to clean your cup it’s actually cleaner than with tampons
- Less toxic: no pesticides and dioxins like in tampons
- Healthier: last year I got an abnormal pap and had to get a biopsy that came back negative, before receiving the results I was freaking out thinking that I might have cancer, during my research for menstrual cups I found out that abnormal paps are linked to tampons …
- Less stress: since you sleep better and are covered for hours without feeling it like you would with tampons, you forget easily that you are on your period and can enjoy your life like every other day
What you need to have a good experience with menstrual cups
A menstrual cup [/one_third]
How to select a menstrual cup
I think the best way to select a menstrual cup that works for you is to read reviews and watch YouTube videos that are comparing the cups.
After doing my research, I brought my selection down these two:
I selected these two cups because:
- I want to make sure that they are good quality and safe to use
- They are very flexible making it easier to insert
I got the Lunette but I am thinking about getting a LENA too after reading an article saying that it’s better to have 2-4 cups so that you can have a sanitized cup on hand (boiled for 5 – 10 minutes between uses) instead of simply cleaning it with water or a wipes to reduce the risk of TSS.
How to use a menstrual cup
The first thing you need to remember is to always wash your hands before handling your cup.
Before using your cup for the first time
- Clean your cup with the menstrual cup soap
- Boil the cup for 20 minutes
- Let it dry
- Put it in its bag
Before your cycle remember to wash the cup with the menstrual cup soap one more time to make sure that it’s clean.
How to insert your cup
How to remove your cup
All you have to do is pinch the bottom of the cup with your index and thumb where the stem is meeting the cup and move it sideways while bringing it down. It’s really easy.
Then you can empty the content in the toilet.
If you are using wipes, I recommend to open the package and unfold it before removing the cup. Then you can first clean the outside of the cup and then the inside. It’s really easy and not messy at all. The good thing about the Pixie Cup Wipes is that they are biodegradable and compostable so you can flush them in the toilet.
After cleaning your cup with the Pixie Cup Wipes you can put it back in or if you prefer you can use a different cup that has been sterilized with boiling water.
Save for later
- How To Be Intentional And Take Care Of Yourself
- How To Create Healthy Habits With The Wellness Journal
- What You Need To Know About Creating A Routine
- Start The Day Right With The Best 10 Minute Yoga Videos
- The Best FREE Resources to Live a Healthy and Happy Life
Over to you
Have you tried a menstrual cup? What did you think of it?