THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. PLEASE READ MY DISCLOSURE FOR MORE INFO.
Since I am now working from home and I have friends and family visiting in the next few months, I am spending a bit of time decluttering and organizing my house. And I have to say that it feels so good!
This weekend I completely decluttered and organized my master bathroom, and I wanted to share with you the process so you can do it too.
How to declutter?
There are many ways of decluttering, but because I am dealing with anxiety and can quickly get overwhelmed, I prefer to focus on one thing at a time instead of doing it all at once.
What I mean by this is that I am going to work on one room at a time and then one drawer at a time.
If I take everything out at once and see a massive pile of stuff in the middle of the room, I get distracted and give up.
So here’s my process:
- Remove everything from the drawers, one at a time
- clean the drawers
- Look at expiration dates of products and throw away what’s expired
- For what’s left ask you these questions:
- Do I use it?
- Do I need it?
- When was the last time I used it?
- Put back what you need in a specific spot
- Give or throw away what you never use
- Then follow the same process for the shower/bathtub, under the sink and the whole room
A few things to think about when you are decluttering your bathroom
Makeup and beauty products
I only keep what I use for my everyday look and what I need for my party looks. I got a cute box at Marshall’s to keep them organized and hidden on the countertop so I can access it easily.
For my current everyday morning routine I need:
- Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel by Clinique
- Revlon ColorStay Skinny Liquid Eyeliner
- Hypnose Volume Mascara
- Revlon Insta-Blush Stick
- Nivea Body Cocoa Butter Lotion
- Hypnose By LANCOME
- Yves Saint Laurent Volupte Tint In Balm
And then I have the UD Naked Eyeshadow Palette Original, and a few flashy lipsticks to add some colors to my eyes when I go out in the evening.
Everything else I gave it away or throw it away. Now I only buy new makeup when I run out of something to avoid duplicates.
My philosophy here is similar than the one for the makeup. Only get one of each product I need and wait to be out of it to buy a new one.
This is what I currently use:
- Clinique Redness Solutions Soothing Cleanser
- Joico Color Balance Purple Shampoo and Conditioner
- DevaCurl Deep Sea Repair, Seaweed Strengthening Mask, Chemical and Heat-Damaged Hair Treatment
- DevaCurl Melt Into Moisture Mask
- Raw Sugar Sensitive Skin
For the nail polish, I let go of colors that I know I would not use again or are no longer moving when I shake them and then put them in a CD basket like this one, and put it under the sink.
The jewelry is a little bit more tricky since we might need different ones according to our clothes.
To be honest, I don’t wear a lot of jewelry. What I have, I have it on 24/7. I’m too lazy to change my earrings every day, so I have small ones that I don’t need to remove when I sleep. Then I have a kate spade necklace that I bought with one of my photographer friends and sleep with it too.
Since both of them are very visible, it forces me to keep the bare minimum. Everything else is in a toiletry bag under the sink.
When you are going to go through your prescriptions, you will find that a lot of them are expired. I think I will try to take the habits to look through them twice a year. I mean I found stuff from our car accident back in 2013 that expired in 2015 …
If you don’t know where to start when you are decluttering your bathroom, this is a right place because you will get rid of a lot of things and it will inspire you to do the same with the rest of the room.
Save for later
- Why Spring Cleaning Will Make You Feel Better
- How I Made More Than $400 By Decluttering My Home
- Minimalism Challenge: How to have Fun Decluttering your Home
- How To Stop Unwanted Emails, Mails, And Phone Calls
- Book Review: The Joy of Less by Francine Jay
Over to you
What was the last room you decluttered in your home?
Latest posts by Julie (see all)
- The Power of Meaning: Finding Fulfillment in a World Obsessed with Happiness - July 18, 2018
- How To Declutter Your Bathroom Efficiently - July 11, 2018
- How To Stop Sugar Cravings When You Are Stress Eating - July 4, 2018