How To Achieve Your Goals When You’re Feeling Down: Moving Towards vs Away
THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. PLEASE READ MY DISCLOSURE FOR MORE INFO.
Last week we focused on a few key points:
- Exploring and establishing what your values are is essential for setting good goals.
- Setting goals that are congruent with your values increase the likelihood that those goals (when achieved) will improve your overall quality of life.
- Generally speaking, there are 4 basic categories of values, including Love, Work, Play, and Health.
Setting Up Goals: The “Bullseye”
Now that we have covered the importance of exploring values, and setting goals which are congruent with these values, let’s explore the process of setting up goals.
As you may recall from the previous post, I briefly touched on the “bullseye” concept, which illustrated the relationship between living in accordance with one’s values and quality of life :
Take a moment to consider a few of your most important values, and place an “x” on the Bullseye, indicating how fully you are living by those values.
Here is an example:
Did you do it!?
Now that you have a visual representation of the extent to which you are living by your values, you can see areas that might need some work.
In the above example, it appears that this person is doing fairly well within the leisure category (the x is near the center). When it comes to the other 3 categories, however, they certainly have some room for improvement.
This is where GOALS come in.
In short, any planned action that successfully moves you closer to the center of the bullseye (living fully by your values) is a good goal. By creating goals that are aligned with your values, you are far more likely to persevere through difficulty and experience a lasting sense of accomplishment and higher quality of life.
Stay tuned for next week, where we will explore specific types of goals, how to map them out, and stay strong when the going gets tough.
Save For Later
- How To Achieve Your Goals When You Are Feeling
- 10 Signs That Anxiety Is Controlling Your Life
- 5 Science-Supported Tips For Beating Anxiety
- How To Make The Best Of 2019 FREE WORKBOOK
- How To Stop Negative Self-Talk: The Cognitive Triangle
Over To You
Are you living fully by your values? Which areas need good goals?